Monday, April 9, 2018

62

It's been over a month since I started my new job. My first full-time job. 

Previously, I was more of a freelancer. I loved it that way, to be honest. My working hours were flexible. I was working 3 hours during the days, 2 hours during the nights and the whole weekends. I could do more than two jobs at a time thanks to the flexibility of my working hours and could easily rake in around RM5k a month. 

Life was good until I realized that I need to secure a full-time job for black and white purposes. I normally get paid by cheque or bank transfer for my freelance job. I didn't receive any paychecks so it was difficult for me to prove my employability to some. Also, it didn't look good on my resume when recruiters saw that I was a freelancer, that I was working part-time. It didn't matter to them on how much I earned, but their concern was my experience. On why was I jumping between companies and didn't stay for a year for a certain job. 

You see, after I came back from UK (February 2017), I had to wait for 7 months to get a job. It was horrible. And when I got the offer to work as a tuition teacher, a part-time lecturer, and freelance trainer, I jumped at the opportunity! For someone who has been jobless for more than half a year, you would just grab anything that was thrown at you. Alhamdulillah, I loved it. But the thing with part-time and freelance contracts is that they weren't given on a-year basis. Normally it is renewed on a 3-months basis.

Plus, I fall pregnant early this year just right after I was finishing my lecturing contract. I didn't renew it nor did I look forward to being renewed. I wasn't in the state where traveling to work for 30-40minutes in the morning was something that I could bear. My first trimester wasn't a really smooth sailing one, hence I decided to quit the lecturing job.

I then tried applying for a job nearer to my house. Just my luck, they took me in. Alhamdulillah. I am still getting used to the 8-4 working hours. I do miss my flexible working hours at times. But I needed this change and I needed the stability. 

It did feel lonely at times before when I was only working for 3 hours during the day and nobody else was at home. Everybody else was working full-time except for me. Now, we all go out at the same time and come home about the same time. I kinda like that rather than having plenty of free time but being left alone at home.

Whatever sails our boats, I guess. 

No comments: