Wednesday, May 16, 2018

63

Tomorrow is the start of the fasting month. This year, it is going to be a new experience for me as I will be fasting as a pregnant lady. I've heard and read various stories about how fellow pregnant ladies survive Ramadhan and I've picked up tips here and there. In shaa Allah, may it be a breeze one for all of us.

Growing up, my family and I very rarely have our break fast outside. We would cook and get some bubur lambuk from the mosque daily and eat together - all five of us. My dad does not encourage us to eat out as he is concerned that if we do, we would be rushing to the mosque for maghrib, tarawih and isyak prayers. As he always put it, "it is only a month in a year".

When I got married to Hilmi, I first learned about breaking fast at suraus/mosques. I was shocked. How naive was I to not know about this after living for so long. Apparently, in suraus or mosques, the people living around them would bring dishes, desserts, and drinks for the people in the jemaah (congregation) to eat. In some places, the committee of the mosques will prepare buffet spread or packeted foods for the congregation. I think it's a very interesting, convenient and wonderful approach to have meals together at the mosques and you don't have to worry about rushing to the mosque as you're already in one. 

Last year, as it was our first time fasting here together, we agreed to go to a different mosque every day or at least, every two days. Not only we want to experience the different breaking fast atmosphere but also the different tarawih and mosques environment. What's even better is that I told my family about it and they tried breaking fast at the mosque as well. My mom especially was so delighted when she first tried it as she no longer needs to rush and cook daily, and can concentrate on other better things to do.

I really enjoyed this newfound experience and I am so blessed to have met Hilmi who introduced such culture to me, or else I wouldn't have known. Looking forward to more mosques-hopping this year!

Happy fasting, dear readers!

No comments: