Sunday, March 27, 2016

44

Back in 2010, dad took us all to UK and Paris for our annual end-of-the-year trip. I was excited about heading to Europe for the first time though I wasn't that excited. I don't know why either.

After a few days strolling around London and Manchester, we head to the city of romance. Dad told us the plan for the following day. "We are going to the Eiffel tower tomorrow". Think I rolled my eyes and wished to just stay in the hotel room, watching TV even though I have zero knowledge on le francais.

The morning after, when everybody was getting ready, I told him "can I not go to the Eiffel tower? I don't feel like going there today."

He stared at me like I was crazy.

"Fatin, we didn't come here all the way to just stay in the hotel room. Everybody is going to visit the Eiffel tower. Period."

Needless to say, every photo of me was horrid. It was so ugly that I never want to tell people that I went to Paris just in case they wanted to have a look at the photos. I picked the ugliest coat, shawl and attitude that day and they reflected on my pictures. Lesson learned.

Fast forward to last week, I went to Paris with my mom, aunt and Hilmi. I decided to make up for the ugly shots I had and take new ones. I enjoyed it very much and was a lot grateful this time around. I took better many photos there as proofs that I've been to Paris, again!




A funny conversation took place at the airport. My mom and aunt were chatting with an uncle who asked where our destination was. When they told him that we were heading to Paris "to see the Eiffel tower", the man simply said;

"It is just a piece of metal."

Perhaps that was the same hunch I had 6 years ago when I refused to visit the Eiffel tower. It is a piece of metal, indeed.

No comments: